23 March, 2014

If you're like me, one of your New Year's resolutions is to lose the pounds packed on over the holidays.  I've cut out cupcakes(well, I'm down to one a month - life has to be worth living), but I've reached an age where the only way I can guarantee losing weight is to up my exercise routine.  

Personally, if I throw on old sweats and torn Hello Kitty tee, I feel like nuking some popcorn and watching "Bridget Jones' Diary" instead of hitting the gym.  Unless I feel cute in my workout clothes, you're not going to get me out of the house and hitting the treadmill.  (Maybe that's just an excuse for shopping, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)  Here's what I do so that I feel active yet attractive, and inspired to channel my inner Jillian Michaels.


Black leggings or yoga pants are popular, and for good reason.  (But I stay away from shorts and capris because they
1 make my legs look stumpy.)  I like to add a pop of color in my top or jacket just because I feel more peppy and energetic when wearing vibrant colors
2. I avoid loose and baggy clothes because even though they are comfortable, I don't get inspired to suck in my stomach, or work on my calf muscles when I can't see them.  I have to get workout clothes that fit close to the body - if I don't like the way it looks in the gym mirror then I work harder.  If I do like the way it looks I work just as hard to keep it up.Plus, I can layer on a jacket or even a casual dress when I leave (and probably head over to Pinkberry.)
3. I have one of these "booty wraps" (www.bootywrap.com) for when I go jogging or anything where I have to hold onto my keys and phone.  It looks like you've wrapped a sweater around your waist/hips but without all the bulk.  It has pockets for my stuff and the wrap is long enough to cover my derriere when I'm feeling hippy.
4. I don't go overboard but I wear a bit of make-up even when I'm working out.  I put on water-resistant mascara, lip stain and tinted oil-free moisturizer (or sunscreen.)
5. When exercising, I wear my hair in a high ponytail or bun.  It keeps my hair out of my face, keeps it from getting greasy and it looks very spunky meets glam.